Woman Nearly Dies After Drinking Takeaway Cup Of Coffee

Savannah Kyriazopoulos Coffee Allergy Thumbnail savannahrosekyri/Instagram

A make-up artist claims she courted death after her coffee was made with the wrong milk – sparking a near-fatal allergic reaction. 

Anaphylactic shock is a severe and potentially life-threatening reaction to a trigger such as an allergy, often developing very suddenly and getting worse quickly – it is considered to be a medical emergency.

With more options than every at local cafes, coffee shops and other eateries, catering to all diets and allergies, the risk of a slip up is higher than ever. For this woman, an easy mistake nearly killed her.

View this post on Instagram

So thankful for the support around me during such a traumatic time ❤ so lucky to be here, I will always continue to use my voice and stand up for what’s right and what I believe in 🙌🏼

A post shared by Savannah Rose (@savannahrosekyri) on

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

Savannah Kyriazopoulos, from Dapto, in Wollongong, New South Wales, picked up a latte from her local McDonald’s.

As she drove home, she took three sips. ‘I tasted it and I thought this doesn’t taste right, but I thought maybe they’d just put heaps of sugar in it,’ she told the MailOnline.

However, her throat began to close up and quickly she went into anaphylactic shock, sending her crashing into a letterbox as she desperately gasped for air, losing control of the vehicle in the process. The 23-year-old said: ‘My life flashed before my eyes, everything went black, I was just so desperate to breathe.’

View this post on Instagram

I’m happier than I look it’s just all the Botox

A post shared by Savannah Rose (@savannahrosekyri) on

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

Fortunately, Savannah had her EpiPen with her. After injecting herself, she was taken to hospital by her sister who was in the nearby area, where medics gave her more adrenaline to help open up her airways.

‘Lucky I wasn’t took far from home when the reaction started coming on – I was off the highway and in a quiet street – otherwise it could’ve been much worse,’ she added.

As she ordered the latte in her local branch, Savannah says she repeatedly made staff aware of her allergy, checking to ensure she was given full cream milk. She was none the wiser to the mistake that had been made, especially since her receipt said ‘full cream milk’.

View this post on Instagram

Coffee all day every day 😋 @babi_cafe

A post shared by Savannah Rose (@savannahrosekyri) on

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

‘People just think you’re being fussy and maybe don’t like the taste but your throat can close up and you can die. It’s more serious than these people realise. The nurses said if I had come in five minutes later I wouldn’t be here,’ she urged.

Symptoms of anaphylaxis include, as per the NHS: feeling lightheaded or faint; breathing difficulties – such as fast, shallow breathing; wheezing; a fast heartbeat; clammy skin; confusion and anxiety; and collapsing or losing consciousness.

McDonald’s is yet to respond to the claims.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via story@unilad.com

Comments

0 comments

Recent Comments

    Categories